New York City Postpones Move to Indoor Dining at Restaurants as Cases Climb in Other States

By Kurt Stolz on 1 July 2020
  • Share

Dinner at La Goulue on Manhattan’s East Side

New Yorkers won’t be dining in restaurants any time soon.  On Wednesday, Governor Andrew Cuomo postponed the reopening of the city’s dining rooms.  Outdoor dining will continue to be allowed, alarmed by the dramatic increase in cases in states that reopened and allowed indoor dining.

Indoor dining is being postponed “until the facts change and it is safe and prudent” to do so, the governor said.  He added that the postponement was due to “partial lack of citizen compliance and partial lack of local government enforcement.”

The move comes on the heels of a similar announcement by New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy on Monday.

Restaurants in New York City had been scheduled to offer indoor dining starting next week on July 6, as the city enters Phase 3 of its reopening.

The governor’s sentiment was echoed by the city’s mayor, Bill De Blasio.

““It is not the time to forge ahead with indoor dining,” he said.  “Indoor is the problem” and “the news we have gotten from around the country gets worse and worse.”

(Photo: Accura Media Group)

Accura News

Read previous post:
Coronavirus Facts and Figures: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 – New Cases Could Double to 100,000, Fauci Warns

The number of coronavirus cases across the globe now stands at 10.64 million, an increase of over 172,264 people in the...

Close