Second Appeals Court Upholds Block on Trump ‘Travel Ban’ Executive Order

By Paul Riegler on 12 June 2017
  • Share

JFKNoEntry(2)A second federal appeals court ruled against the Trump administration’s revised travel ban on Monday.

The decision from the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco upheld a March ruling from Judge Derrick K. Watson of the Federal District Court in Hawaii that blocked major parts of the executive order. In his ruling, Judge Watson wrote that statements made by President Trump and his advisors made it clear that the order had been framed to focus on one particular religious group, Muslims.

Monday’s decision was the latest in a string of rulings that rejected what Mr. Trump refers to as a “travel ban.”

The appeals court said the president exceeded his authority with the ban.

“In suspending the entry of more than 180 million nationals from six countries, suspending the entry of all refugees, and reducing the cap on the admission of refugees from 110,000 to 50,000 for the 2017 fiscal year, the president didn’t meet the essential precondition to exercising his delegated authority,” the court said in its opinion.

“The president must make a sufficient finding that the entry of these classes of people would be ‘detrimental to the interests of the United States.’”

(Photo: Accura Media Group)

Accura News

Read previous post:
Hainan Airlines to Link Shanghai with Brussels

Hainan Airlines announced plans for new service between Shanghai and Brussels on October 25. The route will be the carrier’s...

Close