Traveling to Canada? Make Sure You Get an eTa

On board an Air Canada flight from London to Montréal

By Paul Riegler on 20 December 2016
  • Share

Canada’s welcome mat has become more slippery in the past few weeks.

As of December 2016, many visitors to Canada will require an Electronic Travel Authorization, or eTa, to enter the country by air. The Canadian government has said that the measure is meant to screen travelers before they arrive in the country.

American citizens, who are exempt from obtaining a Canadian visa, are also exempt from the new policy, which went into effect in March albeit with a grace period that ended at the start of December, but citizens of dozens of visa-exempt countries including Australia, Austria, Britain, Germany, Japan, Korea, and Singapore need to apply for an eTa, which costs $7 Canadian ($5.24).

Many travelers are being caught unaware when showing up at the airport for Canada-bound flights, however.

“We believe the government needs to take immediate steps to further communicate their new policy,” Air Canada said in a statement.

(Photo: Accura Media Group)

Accura News

Read previous post:
NTSB to Tech Companies: Integrate Grade Crossings into Map Data

The National Transportation Safety Board asked 11 technology and delivery companies to add the locations of thousands of grade crossings...