At Least 29 Injured in Explosion in Manhattan Mayor Calls an ‘Intentional Act’

De Blasio: ‘New Yorkers will not be intimidated’

By Paul Riegler on 18 September 2016
  • Share

368C0610 (1)A powerful explosion shattered the calm of the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people.

The blast took place at 8:30 p.m. opposite 133 West 23rd Street, a construction site. While none of the injuries appears to be life threatening, at least one person, a pregnant woman, was said to be in serious condition as a result.

Speaking at an impromptu news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said that the explosion appeared to have been “an intentional act” but quickly added that there was no evidence it had been a terrorist act.

“Whatever the cause, New Yorkers will not be intimidated,” he said.

The cause of the explosion remains unknown but it is believed that it emanated from a dumpster although the motivation behind the blast is under investigation. Firemen and policemen were searching rubbish bins in the area for possible additional explosive devices, city officials said. A secondary device – described as resembling a pressure cooker similar to the one used in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing – was reported at 27th Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues, and the bomb squad was on the scene as of 11:45 p.m.

President Obama, who is to arrive in New York tomorrow for the opening session of the United Nations General Assembly, was briefed on the situation, according to a White House statement. “The president has been apprised of the explosion in New York City, the cause of which remains under investigation,” the statement said. “The president will be updated as additional information becomes available.”

(Photo: Accura Media Group)

Accura News

Read previous post:
Hotel at Oberlin Opens in Ohio

The Hotel at Oberlin opened this week in Oberlin, Ohio. The environmentally friendly property is owned by nearby Oberlin College...