Fire Damages Historic Randolph Hotel in Oxford
The fire, termed “major” by the Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, started in the hotel’s kitchens on the ground floor and spread throughout the hotel, eventually reaching the roof.
No serious injuries were reported but hundreds of guests and staff had to be evacuated. Local media reports said that the Oxfordshire Fire Service praised hotel management for its “quick” evacuation.
The fire, which was called in at 4:46 p.m. local time, was contained around 8 p.m.
While the hotel did not announce when it would reopen, the hotel’s website says that the property is “unavailable” for bookings prior to April 27.
The Randolph Hotel was built in 1864 and is in central Oxford. It is known for having been featured several times in the television series Inspector Morse.
The hotel is managed by Macdonald Hotels and was recently renamed the Macdonald Randolph Hotel.
(Photo: Accura Media Group)