Frankfurt Airport Reports Slight Rise in April Traffic Despite Strike
Fraport AG, the operator of Frankfurt Airport, announced airport performance results for April 2014.
Passenger traffic for the month was approximately 4.7 million passengers, a slight year-over-year increase of 0.9%.
The small growth in traffic occurred despite the staging of a three-day strike the first week of April by the Vereinigung Cockpit pilots’ union, which caused 2,160 flight cancellations. However, the impact of these cancellations on the year-over-year change in passenger traffic was somewhat mitigated by the effect of the Lufthansa ground worker strike in April 2013, which caused about 950 flight cancellations.
Meanwhile, the number of aircraft movements for April was down 4.1% year-over-year, with 37,632 takeoffs and landings.
Frankfurt Airport also reported a 1.2% year-over-year decrease in cargo tonnage, with 171,909 metric tons of cargo passing through the airport in April 2014.
(Photo: Accura Media Group)
- Frankfurt Airport Reports Rise in May Traffic
- Frankfurt Passenger Traffic Up in First Quarter
- Frankfurt Airport Security Staff Plans Strike for Friday
- Frankfurt Passenger Traffic Up for 2012, Airport Sees Record 57.5 Million Passengers
- Frankfurt Airport Security Staff Strike Causes Hundreds of Delays, Cancellations