Search for Flight 370 Enters Week 4

Malaysian Air Force Jets Join Sorties

By Paul Riegler on 29 March 2014
  • Share
A Royal Malaysian Air Force Lockheed C-130H-30 Hercules

A Royal Malaysian Air Force Lockheed C-130H-30 Hercules

Australian officials announced an increase in the number of search planes covering a remote area of the southern Indian Ocean looking for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner Sunday, and said that none of the objects that had been spotted earlier turned out to be connected with Flight 370.

Several additional ships and aircraft will join the operation Sunday, according to a statement by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.  This includes two Malaysian Air Force C-130 Hercules planes, making a total of ten planes that are looking for clues.

The challenge has increased greatly since the search area moved northward late last week, to a much larger expanse of sea.  The plan is to have up to ten ships available to retrieve objects spotted by overhead aircraft on earlier sorties.

The work is “difficult and demanding,” said Air Vice-Marshal Kevin Short of the Royal New Zealand Air Force, told reporters that the RNZAF Orion had sighted 70 pieces of debris on Saturday, but “most are not of interest to this search.”

“Until items are picked up by a ship and assessed by expert investigators, no conclusions as to their origin can be made,” he said.

(Photo: M Radzi Desa)

Accura News

Read previous post:
More Ships Head to Flight 370 Search Area

As the search for Malaysia Airlines Fight 370 drew to a close Saturday, a small flotilla of ships was headed...