Gogo and Glympse Partner to Provide In-Flight Location Sharing
In-flight Internet provider Gogo and location sharing platform Glympse have partnered to allow passengers to share their location with friends and colleagues while in flight.
On any Gogo-equipped flight, flyers can go to http://inflight.glympse.com on their laptop or tablet, or the Glympse app on their smartphone, to share their location in the air to any email or North American phone number.
Recipients can view the progress of the flight, including current air speed as well as the aircraft’s estimated time of arrival at its destination. Unlike the service on the ground, once a Glympse is sent in the air the progress of the aircraft can be tracked even if the passenger powers down his device.
The FAA recently amended the rules that previously required passengers to keep their portable electronic devices such as smartphones and tablets off during taxi, takeoff, and landing. While Gogo only functions above 10,000 feet in most cases, passengers will be able to start sending their locations from the moment the service becomes available
(Photo: Accura Media Group)
- Aeromexico, Gogo Partner to Provide In-Flight Internet and Entertainment
- Gogo to Provide Coverage Over Canada
- Aircell Introduces Gogo Vision and Gogo Cloud In-flight Entertainment Services
- Gogo and The Weather Channel Provide Free Access to Weather.com
- US Airways Expands Gogo In-flight Internet Service